Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Craft Shows Begin - No More Free Weekends!

Sheryl and I are gearing up for another busy season of Craft Shows. Life changes quite dramatically for me, as I am busy most weekends until two weeks before Christmas. Much as I love doing shows, meeting people, selling jewelry,etc., it's also a stressful time. Physically it is demanding, especially the setup and breakdown. We are at the mercy of the weather for the outdoor shows, and it's difficult to know how to prepare, especially with rain or strong winds. Lots of sun isn't much better. We did a show in Historic Deerfield, MA and the temperature and bright sun almost wiped us out. That was when Sheryl and I joked about changing the name of our business to "Two Old Broads Beading!" But we survived, as we always do.

A couple of years ago I posted a blog entry on what I bring to outdoor shows. I was looking it over and see that there are things I missed. I am going to post it here, with the additions I've learned about after another season or two of shows.

I bring:

canopy weights jewelry 4 tables covers busts for necklace, bracelets earring stands credit card machine tools earring backs business cards receipt books earring cards business card holders banner gift bags tissue paper table risers pine boxes to display things on pens anti-bacterial lotion clip board inventory list of jewelry price tags sterling silver "S" clasps in different sizes gift certificates signs - for earrings price; that I accept visa mastercard amex discover, sterling silver, etc. calculator camera sign up sheet for mailing list 2 chairs water hand truck paper towels

And I'm adding:

Hat Sunscreen Sunglasses Umbrella Earring Posts Risers for earring stands Brochures for Jewelry Parties Plastic bags fully charged cell phone sweater rain boots Granola bars

While I was going through pictures, I came across a bunch of shots I took at various shows and was struck by how much the display has changed as I've gained more experience. Most notable is the de-cluttering that seems to be taking place. I'm including some pictures so you can see how the display has evolved - still a work in progress, but better.

You will see by the images, starting with my first craft show, how over crowded my tables were. As time and experience has shown me, the less clutter allows for a better view of the jewelry. I used to have rocks, shells, goddess statues and other funky pieces to display jewelry on, but that's all gone. I have always struggled with wanting to put display too many pieces of jewelry. You can see by the last two shows that I've finally discovered that simplicity is best. Sheryl has been a great help with that. She's got a wonderful eye for display. And I keep reminding myself that less is better and simplicity is the way.......my daily mantra.

MY FIRST SHOW:

MY SECOND SHOW:

ONE OF THE FIRST OUTDOOR DISPLAYS:

BENNINGTON, VT:

BENNINGTON, VT:

STURBRIDGE, MA:

STURBRIDGE, MA:

FLEMINGTON, NJ:

SIMSBURY, CT. - One of our favorite shows:

MANCHESTER, CT:

DEERFIELD, MA - finally on the right track:

DEERFIELD, MA:

BOSTON HOME SHOW:

BOSTON HOME SHOW:

I love what I do and, difficult as it seems some days, I hope to be able to continue for a long time........

3 comments:

  1. Wow - as a person who's doing her first show this November, having access to the evolution of your display is an eye-opener. Ditto the list of what to take to a show. Thanks so much for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am doing my first show next month and your information will be very useful to me. Thanks for sharing your evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Terry. I can just imagine how much work it is.

    ReplyDelete